09 April 2008

Breaking The News

So Monday we broke the news to the girls about our pregnancy. We didn't get too cute with it, just showed them the ultrasound photo and asked them what it looked like. Lily, of course, said "A monster". Well, honey, if it's anything like you . . .

Avery, on the other hand, just scowled and said "A baby".

"Is it yours", she asked?

"Yeah, it sure is! What do you think?"

The look on her face said it all. She was NOT excited. She looked like she was going to break out into tears. Then, Mandi calmly added "Don't worry, you're not going to have to share your room."

Instant 180.

She immediately smiled and started talking to Lily about being a big sister herself. It's good to know that all it took to keep her from loathing our expected addition was a little thing like letting her keep her own room. When I think about it, putting the baby in the room with Lily is a small price to pay to keep Avery positive about a new sibling. It doesn't matter one way or the other to Lily . . she doesn't really understand the benefits of having her own bedroom yet. So I guess it's a win-win.

Tuesday morning, after Ave left for school, I went in to her room to straighten up and I noticed this little Barbie scene she'd arranged on her dresser, and it almost brought me to tears. She is such a good kid, so thoughtful, and she'll make a great big sister to this baby.

Then, I started looking a little closer, and as is my nature I found a few details about the little set-up that bothered me.

Number 1: The baby's not wearing any clothes. What kind of parents does she think we are? I mean, we've only sent her to school without clothes that one time, and it wasn't really even our fault . .

Number 2: The male Barbie portraying "Dad" in this scenario is covered up in gray hair. WTF? There might be one little white patch in my beard when I let it grow out, but I have a grand total of ZERO gray hairs on my head. What's she trying to say? Mandi contends that it's the only male doll she owns . . I sense a conspiracy.

Number 3: Why is the "Mommy" Barbie still pregnant? Is this some sort of sign that the measures we take after this pregnancy to prevent future ones will be unsuccessful? Please let the answer to that rhetorical question be "No". Please.

I guess I just need to stop being so analytical and enjoy this work for what it is. The gray hair thing just hits a little too close to home.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

LMAO! The grey hair was one of the first things I noticed too, how hilarious. She is a good kid, even if sharing isnt one of her stronger talents...

A monster??!! Classic.

Loo said...

I FIND THIS so incredibly funny LOL

Anonymous said...

True Avery style....love it! I've been here 12 hrs & haven't seen the monster yet. Where is she hiding, under her own bed?