24 July 2008

End Of A Vacation

I posted some of the better pictures from the first half of our vacation to Cayuga Lake in Upstate NY, I figured why not show off some of the rest.

Sleep was not an easy commodity to come by on this trip. Lily was difficult at bedtime, and that's putting it very very mildly. On the morning pictured Mandi and I heard Lily stirring at around 5:00 and were surprised that she didn't come in to wake us up. Instead we fell back to sleep and this was the sight we saw at a little after 6. Lily loves her Meema something fierce!

Not too long after breakfast they made their way down to the lake to go swimming. There were very few mornings that weren't overcast or rainy, so it was important to take advantage. Lily has learned to blow up her own floaties, saving Daddy an early morning headache.

All dressed and ready to go, the girls dragged Meema down the road and proceeded to swim for almost two full hours.

The walk back to the house was apparently the perfect time to remind Meema of all fun they had just had . . they don't pull from every direction, do they?

After lunch, they enjoyed some popsicles. There was no shortage of desserts on this trip, I assure you.

I spent most of the day just taking in the nature . . the lilies are a full month or so behind ours in North Carolina. The first blooms were just opening on these pink ones near the road (sorry I don't know the variety). There were daylilies everywhere you turned, the prettiest oranges and yellows overwhelmed every roadside view.

I've always been fascinated by the Gray Catbirds. Mandi thinks he's boring looking, but I think his little black cap is very dapper, and his slate gray color just adds to his already mysterious and secretive nature. This particular bird wasn't shy at all, consistently posing for me in the yard, on the wood pile, above the nest box I put up by the road, and on this reflector. Isn't the rental house across the street just lovely?

The girls took their baths super early that night, and then the strangest thing happened . .

. . they talked me in to pitching a tent for them to play in. In their pajamas. They played in the tent for a total of about 8 minutes, which is when a little girl from across the street came over to play with Avery. The tent sat empty for the vast majority of the next 24 hours, until the point that I took it down again in the face of an impending thunderstorm.

Avery really enjoyed playing with Skylar, the 9-year-old girl who lives across the street.

My guess is she probably needed another shower after sprinting back and forth across the yard. She didn't take one.

The next morning some neighbors brought their new grandson over to visit. He was a little cutie, complete with faux-hawk hairdo. Lily got a little time practicing sitting with a baby, something I hope she'll want to do a lot of when our baby arrives in October.

Later that night we decided to do the S'mores thing down by the lake. I did the best I could to start a fire with the materials at hand . . mostly some newspaper we brought, flimsy matches, and a bunch of green twigs. I wasn't pretty, and it certainly couldn't be called a bonfire, but it burned long enough to toast a few marshmallows, and that was all that really mattered.

This is the smile Avery got on her face each and every time dessert of any kind was mentioned. She loves her some junkfood.

Lily loved the idea of S'mores more than the real thing, but she posed for the camera and even showed off her new-found ability to roll her tongue. I am now the only member of the family who can't pull off that feat, although I've never really suffered much from that defecit.

In typical fashion I've saved the best for last, and unfortunately there is no accompanying photo. The funniest moment of the entire trip may have happened when we were about 2/3 of the way home on Monday. Lily and Avery were sleeping in the back seat of the car and Mandi was drifting in the passenger seat. We'd been in the car for close to 8 hours, and I'll admit I was more than a little bit lethargic. With the cruise control set at a modest 76 miles per hour, I negotiated my way around a few slower cars and was heading down a slight grade. I saw a hawk sitting on a utility pole off to the right, and as I leaned forward to get a better look I let the car drift slightly left and across the yellow line. To make matters worse, the road had started to curve gently to the right. Before I knew it I was snapping to attention and pulling the car back into my lane, the roadside rumble strips having done their job wonderfully. Mandi commented first, asking me what had happened. As I started to tell her Lily piped up from the back seat, apparently having been woken up by the sound, and said "Golly tamale Daddy, what was that?!?" All of us, including Avery, burst into uncontrolled laughter. I imagine I've got the good people at Noggin to thank for teaching her that phrase . .

We made it home after 12 hours in the car, and things are finally getting back to normal. Much has happened since then that's worth posting about, but for now the pool is calling our names.


Carolyn said...

Thought you would get a kick out of this IM conversation I had with Kyle this afternoon, after reading this post:
kyle_kearbey: The first blooms were just opening on these pink ones near the road (sorry I don't know the variety)
kyle_kearbey: Your brother doesnt know something!!!???
Carolyn Slovick: i KNOW right!
Carolyn Slovick: exactly what i thought
kyle_kearbey: omg!
kyle_kearbey: he's amazing!!!
Carolyn Slovick: he is, i know

:) I HEART this post, it's just what I needed today. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Lily lesson at 3 on Monday in the Science Lab! Once again, great photos...missing all of you already!

Lynne said...

You have the PRETTIEST girls-
You know that don't you?

It sounds like a perfect vacation. You're such a good daddy to put the tent up )and not complain that it didn't get much use.)

BTW- gray catbird is my favorite back yard bird. I like the cap too nd I really think they are amazing singers.

Glad you're all home safe!