03 November 2007

Too Good To Be True

Some days there's just not that much to write about. Occasionally I'll post a fluff story, or I'll fill space with a narrative about some recipes we've tried out when there's nothing particularly interesting going on. Today, however, is not one of those days. And while the funny story from 7:30 this morning will not take up a very large amount of room on the page, it may very well be one of the most memorable ones I've posted on this blog.

So Avery and Lily were sitting down to breakfast, Lily having been up for an hour plus and Ave still rubbing the sleep from her eyes. I finished washing the last pan and was walking over to get my coffee as Avery says "I know two people who will probably be really bored on Christmas." Only half listening and half flipping pages in the newspaper, I respond with the obligatory "Yeah? Who?" Her response came as matter-of-factly as a weather report, which I think is why the sheer hilarity caught me so off guard. I'm expecting her to say something silly like Mrs. Claus and the Easter Bunny, you know? So when she let "Jesus, and Eme" fly, I laughed so hard I had to sit down in order to catch my breath. (For those who don't know, 'Eme' is Emily, Mandi's sister, whose birthday is on Christmas.) Of course I asked her to repeat herself, but at this point I knew what a gem she'd handed me and I really hoped she wouldn't clam up in embarrassment. After all, if she wouldn't confirm it, I couldn't publish it. But alas, she grinned and repeated herself, and I couldn't help but probe her for her reasoning. "Ave, Christmas is Jesus' birthday, and he's the reason people celebrate the holiday. And it's Eme's birthday too . . why do you think they'd be bored?" Unfortunately for all of us, she chose this time to clam up . . she got a sheepish, embarrassed look on her face and muttered a quiet "never mind" as she turned back toward her scrambled eggs and took a bite. Can't stick your foot in your mouth if it's already full of food, I suppose. So the story ends there, but not before one of the best quotes in recent memory. If you talk to Jesus or Eme, invite them over for Christmas, apparently their calendars are empty.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahahaa!!! where in the world does she come up with these things?! Hilarity really...

Anonymous said...

Have you ever gotten the answer??? I wouldn't have let that one go!